Greetings! The Columbia (MD) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated celebrates 40 years of friendship and service in Howard County, MD in 2015. The Chapter was established on June 28,1975 as part of The Links, Incorporated, a women’s civic organization founded in Philadelphia, PA in 1946. Our gala celebration in July 2015 was truly inspirational with our Charter members Zola Boone, Shirley Colvin, Jeanne Cooper, and Iola Smith joining us for an elegant dinner with dancing. Since its chartering, the Chapter has provided transformational programming to Howard County citizens. We look forward to another great year of developing friendships and enriching lives through services provided through our five facets: The Arts, National Trends and Services, International Services, Services to Youth, and Health and Human services.
Some highlights of the past 40 years include:
· Providing over $100,00 in scholarships for college bound students who are residents of Howard County and students of the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University Conservatory of Music
· Hosting a scholarship fair for Howard County high school juniors and seniors
· Presenting an annual classical music concert (since 1989) performed by students of the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University Conservatory of Music
· Providing master music classes to middle school students in conjunction with the Peabody Institute of The Johns Hopkins University Conservatory of Music
· Supporting the Howard County Center for African American Culture, Meals-on-Wheels and Africare
· Providing workshops on financial literacy, medical genealogy and organ donation
· Holding voter registration drives
· Providing classical music education to kindergarten students
· Partnering with local elementary and middle schools for health fairs, classes on etiquette, after school health education training for children, and enrichment activities for teenage girls
· Partnering with local elementary and middle schools to bring authors and illustrators such as Carol Boston Weatherford, Sharon Flake and Bryan Collier
INFORMATION ON FACETS:
The Arts: This year the Annual Peabody Concert will be held on February 14, 2016 at the Kossiakoff Center of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. Students of the Peabody Conservatory of music will play multiple classical music selections during this free concert. The goal of the concert is to encourage students to pursue careers in the arts and to provide an audience for their talents. For the 25th year of the concert, graduate Peabody students were commissioned to create a classical piece of music.
National Trends and Services: This facet continues to provide enriching activities to Seniors at Angels Alert assisted living facility. The facet also supports GrassRoots, Incorporated with donations and other needed services. The facet will also participate in the Legislative Agenda with a meeting at the General Assembly in Winter 2016 with other Maryland Links Chapters.
International Trends: This facet plans a pen-pal project with students in Howard County and Liberia. The facet is also partnering with Lutheran Social Services of the Virgin Islands to provide needed items to residents at the Queen Louise Home for children and to provide enrichment workshops in March 2016.
Services to Youth: This Facets continues to partner with The Teen Center and provides workshops to young teens in the For Girls Only program. The Facet will also support a Math, Engineering and Science Achievement Program at Jeffers Hill Elementary School.
Health and Human Services: This facet will also work with students at Jeffers Hill Elementary School to conduct a childhood obesity prevention “Can You Imagine Me”. The facet is also planning a mental health summit for Spring 2016, focusing on students transitioning to middle school, high school and college.